Animated Short: Animating

We decided that it'd be best if we split up the shots evenly and began animating as soon as everything had been assembled into one scene. Once we were all happy with how it looked, we each took a version of the master copy to work on. Shannon and I began to play around with the depth of field effect which turned out nicely. The scenes that I took were 1, 5 and 13. You can find them linked here

The first shot was quite long as it needed to incorporate the text floating, the kite and drone moving, and movement with all of the balloons. I spent some time just trying to figure out smooth movement and correct timing. 

Next was shot 5, which was much shorter in comparison. It was rather simple - the main balloon observes the ball flying through the air. I just needed to keep the surrounding balloons floating as he quickly moves his eyes.



Finally, I had the last shot to animate. This was quite difficult also as I had to work with nCloth again. There were several attempts before the final cut, with lots of mistakes and errors. Although, it was worth it in the end. The idea was that we'd make another non-rigged nCloth version of the balloon and swap it in place for the rigged one just as the drone touches the surface. this would allow a split second change and the drone could then interact with the nCloth, tearing it apart. I made the eyes and mouth separate, non tearable surfaces, so that they'd stay intact, floating for comedic purposes. I was pleased with the result in the end.


Some finished still renders:


After some time rendering all of the shots, Caitlin took on the editing and added sounds and music. I was very happy with the result and we were all proud of our work. We finished it successfully and I thoroughly enjoyed working with them as a team.

Comments

Popular Posts